wIGAN ATHLETIC NEWS

Zaki claims row with Bruce is at an end

April 11, 2009

Wigan striker Amr Zaki insists he has cleared the air with manager Steve Bruce and is looking forward to playing for the Latics again.

Bruce publicly expressed his disappointment at Zaki's failure to return on time from international duty with Egypt earlier this month, revealing it was the fourth time it had happened and describing him as the most "unprofessional" player he had ever worked with.

The 26-year-old, who has scored 11 goals for Wigan, is on a season-long loan from El Zamalek and it appeared the relationship between player and club was irretrievably damaged.

But Zaki told Al-Hayat TV: "I clarified many things to Bruce. He understood my reasons for staying in Egypt during the past week but told me I should have returned immediately to England after the Zambia match.

"He wanted my hamstring injury to be assessed by Wigan medics. I apologised to him and we ended up laughing.

"I may return to training after a week. I'm determined to do my best in the remaining Premier League matches."