Galliani remains optimistic about Beckham deal

March 6, 2009

MILAN -- AC Milan vice president Adriano Galliani said Friday that negotiations are "on the right track" to keep David Beckham at the Italian club for the rest of the season.

Galliani said he was confident of reaching an agreement with the Los Angeles Galaxy, but dispelled British news reports that a deal was already completed.

"We are going ahead with the operations and we are on the right track, but it's not yet official that Beckham will stay at Milan," Galliani told the ANSA news agency. "If there's a deal we could sign even in a couple of days."

"There are many chances he will stay. The important thing is that he keep playing with the Milan jersey. It doesn't matter when we sign the contract."

Britain's Sky Sports News and Press Association quoted sources saying that Beckham will stay through the Italian league season before returning to the Galaxy in the summer.

The England midfielder will play for the Galaxy between July and October and return to Milan next season, the reports said.

Beckham has been on loan at Milan for two months and was due to return to the Major League Soccer team next week. He has repeatedly expressed his desire to stay at Milan.

Galliani said earlier this week that a deal allowing him to extend his stay was near.

The 33-year-old Beckham wants to remain with Milan to improve his chances of making England's team for next year's World Cup.

He has scored two goals in 11 games for the Italian team and has looked in his best form since leaving Real Madrid two years ago.

Beckham joined the Galaxy on a five-year contract worth $32.5 million when he left Madrid, but early struggles with his fitness and the demands of traveling back to Europe to play for England lessened his impact.


Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press