Real Madrid news

Drenthe plans to stay and fight at Real

February 18, 2009

Royston Drenthe insists he is not running scared of playing at the Bernabeu after falling victim to the Real Madrid boo-boys and is adamant he is not looking to quit the Spanish giants.

Drenthe has not played for Madrid since being jeered by his own fans during last month's home match with Deportivo La Coruna, an experience he described at the time as the worst moment of his career.

The young Dutchman admits his confidence has been shaken but he remains determined to prove himself at Madrid, who he joined from Feyenoord in 2007 in a 14 million euro deal.

"I did not come here to play two years and leave. I want to succeed at Real Madrid and I'm sure that I can achieve it," the 21-year-old said.

"I'm working very hard to improve all the things the coaches have told me.

"Juande (coach Ramos) and (assistant coach) Marcos Alvarez are helping me a lot. They want me to be 100% soon. They tell me I have to be calm and to play like I have done in many training sessions."

The versatile left-footer also dismissed any suggestion he was afraid of playing at home, adding: "No, but I have to recover confidence. I need to feel important and loved in the Bernabeu. I want to play with the backing of the fans...

"I need to have confidence to play my best football, I cannot be afraid to mess up a dribble, a cross or a goal.

"I'm talking with lots of people and they are all helping me. Juande, my team-mates...everyone wants to see me play happy and without problems."