MANCHESTER CITY NEWS

Robinho denies sexual assault allegations

January 28, 2009

Brazil and Manchester City striker Robinho has denied any wrongdoing or criminality after his arrest over allegations of serious sexual assault.

GettyImagesRobinho and Hughes have both been under pressure.

A statement issued on the 25-year-old player's website on Wednesday said Robinho denied the accusations and was happy to cooperate with police.

Robinho, who is British soccer's most expensive signing, had been arrested in connection with a sexual assault on an 18-year-old woman in a night club in the northern English city of Leeds two weeks ago.

"We can confirm that Robinho met the police today, as pre-arranged and as part of a criminal investigation," the player's spokesman Chris Nathaniel said in the statement.

"He strenuously denies any allegation of wrongdoing or criminality and is happy to cooperate with the police if required further."

West Yorkshire police confirmed the arrest but in line with British policing policy did not name Robinho.

"A man was arrested in connection with an alleged serious sex assault at a nightclub in Leeds on January 14. He was questioned and bailed pending further inquiries," a police spokeswoman said.

Manchester City face Newcastle United in a Premier League fixture on Wednesday but it was not clear if Robinho, who has scored 12 goals this season, will be playing.

City later gave Robinho their "full support''.

Robinho trained with City as normal today, and a statement on the club's official website, www.mcfc.co.uk read: "The club have been liaising with, and assisting, both the player in question and the authorities in relation to the West Yorkshire Police investigation.

"Both parties have been given the full support of the football club. No charges of any nature have been brought against the player and no further statement will be made whilst the investigation is continuing.''

Robinho, whose full name is Robson de Souza, became Britain's most expensive player when he joined Manchester City from Real Madrid in September for £32million.

Last week, the striker left City's training camp in Tenerife without permission and returned home to Brazil. On his return, his manager Mark Hughes said the player would face club disciplinary action for his unauthorised absence.

"The disciplinary procedure has to be gone through and once that's run its course then Robbie will have to face some disciplinary measures," Hughes said on Tuesday.

"I've touched on what I expect to happen and it really is at the point where we've moved on and drawn the line under it."