West Ham news

Bellamy denies threatening to go on strike

January 27, 2009

Manchester City new boy Craig Bellamy has denied going on strike to get a move away from Upton Park.

Craig Bellamy
GettyImages / PhilColeBellamy was eventually sold for £14m.

The Wales skipper joined City last week in a £10million deal after an apparent argument with the Hammers, who would not let him join Tottenham.

It was suggested Bellamy refused to play for Gianfranco Zola to ensure he could quit the London outfit, on the basis that he had become disillusioned with life at the club.

However, Bellamy insists he remains on good terms with Zola, who he spoke to after the Hammers' FA Cup win at Hartlepool on Saturday, and never went on strike.

"I have a great relationship with Gianfranco," said Bellamy. "I've heard all this talk about me going on strike but I have absolutely no idea where it has come from.

"I cannot understand it. Maybe in the past I have done some things that I shouldn't but this one is not true."

Bellamy is expected to face one of his old clubs, Newcastle, at Eastlands alongside fellow new arrival Nigel de Jong as City look to make a charge away from the bottom half of the table, with Bellamy thinking a Uefa Cup spot is still a possibility.

"I still think we can finish in the top six this year," said Bellamy.

"It is still an aim for us but if not it is what we should be going for next season. I have never been outside the top six in my whole career and I want that to carry on."