Wales striker gets wish

Bellamy completes "£14m" Man City transfer

January 19, 2009

Craig Bellamy has signed for Manchester City.

The Wales international has agreed a four-and-a-half-year contract with the Blues after agreeing personal terms and passing a medical and is expected to make his debut against former club Newcastle United on January 28.

Bellamy originally wanted to join Tottenham Hotspur but once West Ham United made it clear they were not going to let the striker join their London rivals, he quickly agreed to link up again with countryman Mark Hughes.

''I am delighted to be working with Craig once more,'' Hughes told the City website. ''He is an outstanding player who provides us with qualities that we are slightly lacking.

''He has blistering pace, has bags of of enthusiasm and has a superb attitude to training. He will be a great addition to the squad.''

It is thought City will pay £14million for Bellamy, whose speed should provide a useful threat alongside first-choice front-man Robinho.

While his combustible temperament has seen Bellamy get into trouble far too often, when fit he is a major attacking weapon.

Crucially, he is also free to play in the remainder of City's UEFA Cup campaign. The deal should leave the way clear for Tottenham to complete the transfer of Wigan midfielder Wilson Palacios.

Bellamy will join his new team-mates at a training camp in Tenerife, where he could joined by Holland international Nigel de Jong.

Hamburg have confirmed a fee - also believed to be around £13million - has been agreed with City for De Jong, who should bring some much-needed steel to their midfield.

De Jong is yet to agree personal terms but, as with Bellamy, negotiations are expected to be concluded swiftly.

Like Bellamy, De Jong has had his fair share of injuries, including a knee problem he picked up on international duty in October from which he has only just returned.

Unlike his new team-mate 24-year-old De Jong will not be available for European competition, having already appeared in the UEFA Cup.

However, that drawback has not deterred Hughes, who has been anxious to bolster his midfield options but missed out on his number one target with Lassana Diarra decided to join Real Madrid from Portsmouth instead of City earlier in the transfer window.

Meanwhile, it is expected a City delegation, led by chief executive Garry Cook, will meet officials from AC Milan tonight in the latest stage of their bid to sign Brazilian superstar Kaka.

Kaka's father Bosco Leite met Cook this afternoon to discuss what would be the most amazing transfer ever.

It is thought Milan will do a deal at the price City have stipulated, thought to be £108million, as it would allow them to wipe away a vast part of their debt.

Milan's supporters are not too happy though and made their displeasure felt at the San Siro during Saturday's win over Fiorentina.

However their unhappiness is unlikely to play a part in the final decision, and Hughes is fully supportive of the City board's attempt to sign the player.

''We are very much together on the fact that we want to bring one of the top players in the world to City,'' he said.

''That is the motivation behind this whole situation. The owners understand it will take a long time to get where we want to and are more prudent than perhaps is being portrayed.''