Palacios close to Spurs deal, Mourinho in for JJ
Wigan manager Steve Bruce has confirmed a deal to sell midfielder Wilson Palacios to Tottenham has been "virtually agreed", while Jose Mourinho has claimed he is interested in taking Jermaine Jenas to Italy.
However Palacios was at the Wigan training ground on Friday and Bruce has not given up hope of maintaining the services of the Honduran.
The deal is believed to be worth around £14million, and Bruce said: "The two clubs have virtually agreed a fee. It is how that fee should be paid.
"It is up to us as a selling club to demand what we want in terms of how we should be paid and how we should be structured. We will see what happens.
"Wilson is still with us and I'm preparing him to play against Manchester City tomorrow. That's the situation at the moment but we will see what happens in the next few hours."
Bruce admitted that if Palacios was to leave it would be a tremendous bit of business by Wigan, who signed the player for around £1 million 12 months ago.
He said: ''You look at what we bought him for and what we might sell him for and it is quite remarkable. But as a manager you don't want to lose one of your best players. Of course we have to be realistic, which I am.
''We are Wigan Athletic and if it is the wish of the player (to leave) all these things have to be taken into consideration. Spurs can offer bigger contracts than us. They can blow us out of the water but it would be like losing my right arm.
''The last thing I want to do is dismantle my team. Wilson has come from nowhere to being one of the best midfield players in the country.
''When we played Manchester United in midweek at Old Trafford, it didn't phase him at all and at his age he can only get better.''
Inter Milan boss Jose Mourinho has claimed he would like Jermaine Jenas at the San Siro, while Tottenham are also thought to be keen on Hernan Crespo.
Sky Sports News report that the Inter boss has made his intentions clear, while the Palacios deal has cast doubt on the future of the Spurs midfielder, who has been out of favour under Harry Redknapp and Crespo could be part of the deal.
Jenas has been linked with a number of swap deals during the January transfer window and Redknapp is believed to be ready to let the midfielder leave, along with striker Darren Bent and the winger Giovani dos Santos.
Jenas signed a new contract with the Carling Cup holders in July last year which ties him to the club until 2013. However, Spurs' resolve to hang on to the 25-year-old is now likely to be tested by former Chelsea boss Mourinho.
Spurs boss Harry Redknapp, however, is keen to keep the midfielder, and said: "He is one of the best midfield players in the country and I don't want to lose him.
"I need all the players here to be fit and playing well. I can't afford to lose anybody."
On the Crespo deal, Redknapp also denied claims that he had made an enquiry about Inter striker Hernan Crespo.
"There is not an ounce of truth in it. He played in the game [Inter's last match] I watched but that's all it was," Redknapp explained. "I have not made an enquiry for one player who played in the game."