WORLD CUP NEWS

Capello signed up to help English World Cup bid

November 11, 2008

Fabio Capello has been signed up to help England's bid for the 2018 World Cup. The England head coach is one of six new bid vice-presidents announced.

The others are Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon, former FA chairman Geoff Thompson, Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor, Tesco chief executive Sir Terry Leahy and Lord Stern of Brentford, formerly chief economist of the World Bank.

They join David Beckham, John Barnes and England women's coach Hope Powell as vice-presidents.

Capello said: ''I'm very happy to become a vice-president to the 2018 World Cup bid and I shall do everything I can to help England's cause.

''This is an opportunity to offer England's future players the chance to represent their country in front of their own fans and as national coach I know what an exciting prospect that is.

''My prime responsibility is to build a national team that will compete at the highest level, but if I can also help to strengthen England's claims to stage the World Cup tournament I shall consider it a tremendous honour.''

Thompson, currently both a FIFA and UEFA vice-president, said: ''As FA Chairman, I was part of the decision to make this bid for the 2018 World Cup and there would be a tremendous sense of achievement for everyone involved if we reached our ultimate aim.''

Kenyon however has warned that the bid could be damaged unless the FA and the Premier League start enjoying a better relationship.

Last month, FA chairman Lord Triesman, who is leading the 2018 campaign, clashed with Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore over the level of debt in the top echelons of the game.

Kenyon, speaking in Zurich, said it was vital for a new atmosphere of goodwill to be put in place.

''It's important that both parties speak with a single voice because if we are not careful there are own goals that could be scored which don't have to be,'' said Kenyon.