BREMEN, October 17 (National Team) - Werder Bremen midfielder Torsten Frings admits he is considering retirement from international football after being left out of the Germany team for their last two World Cup qualifiers.
Frings sat on the bench against Russia and Wales, playing only the final six minutes against the Russians in Dortmund last Saturday.
He made his feelings clear to coach Joachim Low, who praised the player's attitude and his reaction to being omitted from starting XI.
But the 31-year-old is still not satisfied with the situation and has threatened to end his international career.
"I was not even allowed to warm up during the Wales game and that topped it all off," he said, adding that he "could not rule out" retiring.
"Of course I am thinking about retiring, not because I feel abused, but because these last few days have opened my eyes. But such a decision needs time and it could take days or weeks."
Frings revealed that it was not so much the fact that he had been left out which frustrated him, but the manner in which it happened that left him bitter.
On Friday he was informed he would not be in the line-up for the Russia clash, but Low insisted he was still regarded as a key player. Four days later, he was an unused substitute.
"He says he is still counting on me for the future, but I don't feel it," Frings added in the Bild newspaper. "When you reach 32, you develop a feeling for such things and I cannot see any future for me with him.
"I would expect more backing, faith and respect from the coach."
Frings, though, insisted he would never walk out on the national team, as Schalke striker Kevin Kuranyi did during the win over Russia.
He added: "I have never considered that. I am part of a team and no player can do anything about my situation. I did not want to leave them in the lurch and upset them.
"I have been part of the national team for seven years and you don't just chuck it all in like that."
Germany coach Joachim Low later reminded Frings of how highly he is valued, saying: ''He is still rated very highly by me, but I cannot give anybody any guarantees of a place,'' he said.
''That does not mean that I lack respect, as he claims, but that I am considering the whole situation of the national team.
''We have always had a lot of respect for Torsten's performances, but in view of the 2010 World Cup, we have got to give chances to the younger players who are also performing well in the Bundesliga.''
As far as Low is concerned, there is no problem between himself and the midfielder and the issue was resolved while they were together over the past 10 days.
''As far as I am concerned, everything has been said,'' he added.
''I have spoken at length with Torsten in recent days about his role and our current considerations.''