Alonso would still consider Juventus move

October 13, 2008

Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso has revealed he would still be tempted by a move to Juventus even though the Italian club turned him down over the summer.

The Spain international came close to joining to the Turin giants during the transfer window but ended up staying in the Premier League.

"To be honest, for my part, the attraction (to Juventus) has remained intact,'' said Alonso in an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport.

Juve instead signed Christian Poulsen from Sevilla, with Juventus coach Claudio Ranieri revealing last week he believed Alonso was simply too slow to play in the Bianconeri midfield.

The 26-year-old, who helped Spain win Euro 2008, was not too disheartened by Juve's decision though.

"One thing I can say is that I personally appreciated the honesty of the club executives,'' said Alonso.

"They told me their tactics on the pitch were different and that is why they chose Poulsen and not me.

"These are things that happen in football and it's fine. I could have gone but I didn't because, in the end, they chose someone else.

"Juventus are Juventus, the most prestigious club in Italy, but you cannot be disappointed when you play for Liverpool.''