Defender Cannavaro keen on return to Napoli

October 9, 2008
By Soccernet staff

Real Madrid defender Fabio Cannavaro has reiterated his desire to rejoin Napoli, although says he will talk with the Spanish club over his future.

EFEThe Italy defender missed out on Euro 2008 through injury.

With his contract at Santiago Bernabeu set to expire in June 2009 the veteran defender admits he may decide to call time on his Spanish adventure and has made no secret of his desire to end his career in his homeland.

As a Naples native the 35-year-old has previously indicated that he would welcome a return to Napoli, the club he began his illustrious career with back in 1992.

"I will talk with Real, but we will see," he said. "I've always said that I would like to come back home.

"I left Napoli due to the club's financial troubles, but they are in better shape now and I know both president (Aurelio) De Laurentiis and sporting director (Pierpaolo) Marino hold me in high regard."

Meanwhile, Cannavaro has underlined his intention to remain part of the Italian national side for as long as he keeps getting picked.

The centre-half skippered the Azzurri to World Cup glory in 2006 and insists he would never turn his back on his country.

"The years are passing but I will not give up," he said.

"Until they stop calling me I will continue to play for the national team with great enthusiasm.

"The Italian defence may have been the same for many years, but in my generation there have been a lot of great defenders."