Brazilian Ronaldo focused on fitness, not City move

September 15, 2008

RIO DE JANEIRO, September 15 (Premier League) - Ronaldo's agent Fabiano Farah has insisted his client's only focus is on getting fit again amid reports that he has agreed a deal to play for Manchester City.

Reports in Brazil on Monday claimed that Ronaldo had agreed to join City in January on a one-year deal, but Farah insisted the 31-year-old striker is still recovering from a serious knee injury suffered while with AC Milan in February.

Farah refused to reveal what the future might hold for the three-time FIFA World Player of the Year, but said he was close to a comeback.

"Ronaldo is clinically fine, but is now getting back to full fitness," Farah told PA Sport. "He is very well and close to being ready to play."

Ronaldo is a free agent after his contract with Milan expired in June, and speculation has linked him with both City and Fluminense, who have allowed him to use their facilities for his rehabilitation.

"The only priority we have is to keep doing what he is doing," Farah added.

"Ronaldo is as determined as he was in 2002, when he got over that serious injury that affected him a long time," he added, referring to a previous knee injury which dogged Ronaldo for 36 months.

"That year, he came back to be a world champion in the national team," Farah said.

"He wants to be the same player he was at that time. He wants to keep winning titles, win the Champions League and be the best player in the world again.

"We are working on that and we must not deflect our focus. That's the only thing I can say about all this that has been reported."

Earlier this month, Ronaldo began the final stage of his rehab with Flamengo team doctor Jose Luiz Runco, who also works with Brazil.