Deportivo's Lotina rejects Toon link

September 8, 2008

Deportivo La Coruna coach Miguel Angel Lotina has revealed he has been contacted about the vacant Newcastle post but rejected the approach to remain at the Riazor.

Lotina is one of a host of coaches being linked with the managerial position at Newcastle following last week's resignation of former England boss Kevin Keegan.

However, while the 51-year-old Lotina admits there has been contact from someone claiming to be involved with Newcastle, he has no intention of leaving Depor.

'I don't give it too much importance. I had a call, I don't know if it was from someone very close to the club [Newcastle] or not because there are so many businessmen that you never know, to see if I would be interested and I told them no because I have a contract and I'm not thinking of any other team. I nipped it in the bud,' Lotina said today.

'I'm happy at Depor and my intention is to continue here until June 30,' added Lotina, who joined the Galician outfit last summer and led them to a ninth-place finish in La Liga.

Newcastle signed two of Depor's players this summer in Fabricio Coloccini, who became the Magpies' most expensive defender in their history, and striker Xisco.