Lampard extends Chelsea stay

August 13, 2008
By Soccernet

Frank Lampard has put an end to the incessant transfer speculation surrounding his future by finally signing a new contract with Chelsea.

The 30-year-old agreed a five-year extension after holding out for the lucrative deal during 18 months of contract talks at Stamford Bridge.

The England midfielder's existing agreement was due to expire next summer and the Blues hierarchy were concerned that they may have lost one of their star assets for nothing.

'We've signed my new contract today,' Lampard said.

'I'm personally very happy and I hope I've made the Chelsea fans happy. I've had seven great seasons here and now I can have many more.

'I feel for sure I've made 100% the right decision, for myself, for my family and for Chelsea Football Club.'

Lampard had been linked with a £20million move to Inter Milan to team up with former mentor and ex-Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, as well as a switch to Barcelona.

But Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon confirmed last month that the club had only ever received one derisory bid of £7.95 million from Inter that was rejected out of hand.

Referring to the possibility of quitting Chelsea for a move abroad Lampard said: 'That was a possibility when we knew they had made an offer for me, I had to make a decision for myself and this club has been very, very good to me.'

'I sat down and realised this club has been great for me and I feel I've been good for the club.

'I don't see any squads as strong as us. I feel very excited to be part of the future and now hopefully we can win back some titles.'

New Blues boss Luiz Felipe Scolari said in one of his first press conferences at Stamford Bridge in June that Lampard had said he wanted to stay, and that appears to be the case.