Moutinho remains on Everton's wish list

August 5, 2008

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright insists Joao Moutinho remains on David Moyes' wish-list as the club seek their first signing of the summer.

With striker Andrew Johnson's move to Fulham close to completion, Everton are eager to strengthen their squad and Sporting Lisbon star Moutinho is one of several targets.

Manager Moyes wants to bring up to half a dozen new players to the club, and Kenwright confirmed Moutinho remains on the list, despite Sporting rejecting Everton's initial offer of £11.8million.

Kenwright told Sky Sports News: 'That is one of the ones you can believe in the papers. He is one of his (the manager's) major targets, but there are others who have not made the papers yet, thankfully.

'David said last week in America, 'I am only going to bring in players who will take the club forward', and that is how he is.

'He is relentless in that, I have never known David say 'he'll do' or 'that'll do'. He takes his time, pinpoints and focuses.

'And when I actually see the player he has focused on I say 'I get it'. I saw one this weekend on a football pitch and I said, 'Yeah, I see why we want that particular player'.'