Daily Calderon: No unrest at Real Madrid

July 31, 2008

Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon has revealed there will be a maximum of two new signings this summer and denied reports of unrest in the squad.

In response to Bernd Schuster's comments on Wednesday, who said he is kept in the dark about transfer activity and claimed the players are growing restless at the lack of signings, Calderon confirmed the club's position.

'Maybe one or at the most two players will come,' Calderon told Spanish newspaper Marca.

'We don't need more because we've signed 19 players in two years and this season (Ruben) De la Red and Javi Garcia are back. We have 25 exceptional players.'

Calderon also denied any unrest among the squad, dismissing Schuster's comments on Wednesday as a joke which had been misinterpreted.

'I haven't heard (what Schuster said), but the relationship is magnificent and I know what he's thinking,' he said.

'He will have said it jokingly and it may have been misinterpreted. The coach knows that he is the first to be informed, I've confided in him and there is no problem.

'There's a great atmosphere and there's no reason to think otherwise.'

The Spanish champions have focused all their efforts this summer on trying to lure Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo, which have so far proved fruitless.

Ezequiel Garay is the only signing to date, from Racing Santander, although De la Red has returned from his loan spell at Getafe and Madrid have exercised a buy-back clause to bring Javi Garcia back from Osasuna after just one season.