Inter Milan complete signing of Muntari

July 28, 2008

Inter Milan today completed the signing of Sulley Muntari from Portsmouth on a four-year contract and revealed the Ghana midfielder would be their 'last acquisition' of the summer transfer window.

The 23-year-old is returning to Italy, having joined Pompey from Udinese for £7million last summer and his move to Inter is thought to be worth nearly double that amount.

Muntari becomes new Inter boss Jose Mourinho's second major capture after the signing of Mancini from Roma.

The three-time defending Serie A champions also announced Muntari was their last signing of the summer, suggesting Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard will not be joining the Nerazzurri.

Inter director Gabriele Oriali said of Muntari's arrival: 'Muntari will be our last acquisition, now we must work on reducing the squad as coach Jose Mourinho wants 22 players and three goalkeepers.'

Mourinho, meanwhile, hinted Lampard will now remain at Chelsea.

'I'm not disappointed by Lampard,' he said.

'The important thing for a player is to do what makes him happy. If his decision is to stay at Chelsea I accept that.'

As a 16-year-old, Muntari was a target for Manchester United, but eventually signed for Udinese in 2001, making his debut the following year.

His form with the Bianconeri attracted the interest of a number of clubs, with several top Italian sides including Inter, Roma and AC Milan reported to have been following his progress last summer.

The player chose a move to Portsmouth, though, where he scored five goals in 33 appearances last season and was a member of the FA Cup-winning side in May.

Pompey boss Harry Redknapp told: 'I'm very disappointed to let him go. He's a terrific player and was a great signing for us. He's a really nice lad as well.

'He can't be a bad player - Inter don't buy bad players. He helped us achieve what we did last year.

'But Inter have come in and made a big offer which allows us to strengthen in a couple of other positions.'