Monaco braced for Piquionne offers

July 28, 2008

Monaco president Jerome de Bontin is bracing himself for 'half a dozen' bids for Frederic Piquionne in the coming days, but has no intention of selling his star striker.

The likes of Lyon and Nice are believed to be interested in the France international, who joined Monaco from St Etienne in January last year.

With just two weeks left before the start of the new Ligue 1 campaign, De Bontin expects the offers will come flooding in.

'Half-a-dozen clubs have or are going to make bids for Piquionne,' he said.

'But from the start, we have decided we want to keep him. He isn't a guy we are looking to let go.'

French champions Lyon have been closely linked with Piquionne for a few weeks as they intensify their search for another striker.

But when asked if Les Gones had tabled a bid for the player, De Bontin told L'Equipe: 'I am not making any comment on the subject or any ongoing deal.'

Piquionne, 29, scored seven goals for Monaco last season.

He has played once for France.