Capel considering Sevilla exit as Spurs hover

July 16, 2008

Diego Capel admits he would consider leaving Sevilla to 'grow as a footballer' if Tottenham can agree a fee with the Spanish side.

Spurs were linked with a failed £12.5million bid for the 20-year-old winger last month, but the door appears to have been left open for another attempt.

Capel told Diario de Sevilla: 'For sure everybody wants to grow as a footballer, I'm at a great club, but you always have better objectives.'

When asked whether he knew of Spurs' interest, Capel said: 'I know there's something but the club [Sevilla] trust me and I owe them for this confidence.

'[Tottenham manager Juande Ramos] didn't speak to me, he did with my agent I presume, yes. My representatives deal with this.

'I think Sevilla's president has all the right in the world to do this [turn down an offer]. Right now I belong to Sevilla, I'm under contract here and that needs to be respected.

'For sure my intention is to keep developing at Sevilla. If they value my work I'll stay here or if they value me more elsewhere, you never know what can happen.'

Negotiations could be complicated by the fall-out from Ramos leaving Sevilla for White Hart Lane last season.

Ramos is preparing for his first full Barclays Premier League campaign but there is uncertainty whether either Dimitar Berbatov or Robbie Keane will be leading the attack together.

Berbatov has been tipped to leave for Manchester United, Keane is a target for Liverpool, while winger David Bentley is seen as a possible recruit.

Espanyol's Luis Garcia is a potential replacement for Keane if he leaves for Anfield.

The Spanish club's sporting director, Paco Herrera, admits Garcia's situation is one of the remaining problems to be solved for Espanyol.

He said: 'The only case left open now is Luis's one. There is a situation that has happened, but there has been no firm offer.'

Meanwhile, Hossam Ghaly is expected to leave Spurs this summer and could return to Egypt on loan with Al-Ahli.