Unhappy Trezeguet quits France internationals

July 9, 2008

MILAN, July 9 (Reuters) - France striker David Trezeguet said on Wednesday he was quitting international soccer.

The Juventus player was left out of France's Euro 2008 squad and had an uneasy relationship with coach Raymond Domenech, who was told last week he could stay in the job.

France were dumped out of the finals at the group stage last month after drawing one and losing two of their games at the tournament in Austria and Switzerland.

'The awful Euros and the confirmation of the coach have led me to this irreversible decision,' the 30-year-old told reporters at Juve's pre-season training retreat.

'I see soccer differently from how they see it in France. The Euros were very negative but what annoys me more is that Domenech is staying,' he said.

'At the moment, more political decisions are being taken than football ones and they don't respect public opinion, which favours me.'

Trezeguet was second top scorer in Serie A last season with 20 goals but could not force his way into Domenech's plans.

The France coach had called on him only five times since the 2006 World Cup final, which France lost to Italy on penalties with Trezeguet missing the crucial spot kick.

The forward, who helped France lift the World Cup on home soil in 1998 and scored the golden goal in the final to win Euro 2000, has netted 34 goals in 71 internationals.