Moratti: We made an offer for Lampard

July 8, 2008

Inter Milan owner and president Massimo Moratti insists his club has made a bid for Chelsea midfielder but 'don't want to create any big problems'.

The Premier League club have told the Italian champions - now managed by former Blues boss Jose Mourinho - they will not even discuss the possibility of selling the 30-year-old England international.

Moratti on Tuesday told www.inter.it: 'They replied that they have no intention of negotiating, as was their right. Now we will see.'

In response to Chelsea's claim that they had received 'no financial offer' for Lampard, Moratti added: 'This is not true.

'There's an offer and we confirm it. However, we don't want to create any big problems.

'Am I optimistic? We will see.'

Inter captain Javier Zanetti earlier on Tuesday described Lampard as a 'champion' and revealed he would welcome him to the San Siro.

With Inter looking to secure a big-name signing to celebrate their centenary year, a host of players have been linked with the Nerazzurri, who won their third consecutive Scudetto last season.

And Argentina international Zanetti believes Lampard would be the ideal candidate.

'I have played against him only at international level and he is a true champion,' he said.

'He defends, attacks and shoots well. There are very few players around who are as complete as he is.'