BUENOS AIRES, July 2 (Reuters) - Boca Juniors midfielder Sebastian Nayar's decision to leave after playing only one game to negotiate a deal with a European club has provoked an angry reaction from the Argentine club.
The news has stoked the controversy over the export of young South American players to European clubs and Boca president Pedro Pompilio said he would protest to soccer's governing body FIFA.
'We will present the contract which runs until 2012 and is registered with AFA (the Argentina Football Association),' he told the TyC Sports channel on Tuesday.
Nayar, whose played for just over one hour against Racing Club in his only professional appearance in May, has signed for Spanish club Recreativo Huelva.
'I would like to have stayed and shown the public that I could have been the team's number five,' the 20-year-old Nayar told the same channel.
'I've taken the decision because I have an important opportunity. The train only passes once and when it comes along, you have to get on.
'In January, I had a chance to leave and Boca did not let me.
'Then, an offer came up from the Netherlands and Boca put a $6 million price tag on me. It's too much for a player who has played only one senior game.'
South American soccer suffers from a huge talent drain and nearly all of the continent's top players are based in Europe.
Last year, River Plate president Jose Maria Aguilar said FIFA's rule that players could not be transferred internationally until they reached the age of 18 was routinely being broken.
'The way it happens is a club from a Spanish city contracts a woman to cook and by coincidence she has a 14-year-old football genius son,' he told Reuters in an interview.
'They are stealing our players.'
On Wednesday, Recre said on their website: 'Nayar's former club, where his contract ended on June 30, wanted to hang on to him through an extension which is to all intents and purposes invalid.
'Recreativo will ask the AFA for the transfer documents in the near future to be able to register him in Spain, and if the AFA do not send them we will seek provisional approval through FIFA.'