Figo to play another season with Inter Milan

June 26, 2008

Luis Figo has decided to continue his playing career after signing a one-year extension to his contract with Internazionale.

The 35-year-old winger had been touted as one of the possible replacements for Luiz Felipe Scolari as coach of the Portugal national team.

Figo endured a difficult season at the San Siro last year, with injuries keeping him off the pitch and a difficult relationship developing with former boss Roberto Mancini.

However, the former Barcelona and Real Madrid star told Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport that he did not want to end his career on a low point and was excited to be playing a year longer.

'Last year I was out for a long time through injury. I didn't want to finish my career like that,' he said.

'I wanted to continue for an extra year to prove something to myself and it's really an extraordinary thing that my wishes were the same as Inter's.'

Before Mancini left the club to be replaced by former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, Figo told reporters that he would only stay at the club if the Italian manager went.