MILAN, April 5 (Reuters) - AC Milan will try to sign Barcelona's Ronaldinho, the Italian club's president Silvio Berlusconi said on Saturday.
The Brazilian, who will miss the rest of the season after tearing a leg muscle, has had a disappointing campaign at the Nou Camp and media reports say the 28-year-old is poised to leave.
Milan, languishing outside a Champions League place in Serie A, have been long-time admirers of the forward and have had trouble scoring and creating chances this season. Milan striker Ronaldo has also been ruled out long term with a knee injury.
Asked if Milan would buy Ronaldinho, Berlusconi told Italian news service ANSA: 'I hope so, I think so. We will try to take him.'
Ronaldinho's agent and brother Robert de Assis was photographed entering a restaurant with Milan vice president Adriano Galliani earlier this week.
Ronaldinho has also been linked with a move to England while Inter Milan coach Roberto Mancini said his club were interested.
'Six months ago I said (Inter were interested) and you didn't believe me,' he told reporters. 'He is in a difficult moment, he is 28 and has really great quality. Do I see him at Inter? If he has the will to train.'
Berlusconi also gave his backing to under-fire Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti and struggling forward Alberto Gilardino.
'Ancelotti is a great coach. I hope he stays at Milan. Gilardino is a good striker and we have faith in him. We are keeping him,' the club owner said.