Former striker Larsson rules out Celtic return

January 12, 2008

Former Celtic striker Henrik Larsson has ended speculation linking him with a return to Parkhead by signing a new one-year contract at Helsingborg.

The Swedish veteran agreed to the new deal this morning.

Larsson, 36, established himself as a Hoops legend during his spell in Scotland from 1997 to 2004.

He had been linked with a return to Celtic during the January transfer window but opted to commit himself to staying in Sweden.

Helsingborg sporting director Bo Nilsson said: 'We are very happy he is staying with us.'

Nilsson added: 'We had an option for another year in his contract and we have exercised that option. I've just come out of a meeting with Henrik and he is happy to spend the next year with us.'

Larsson had been considering his options and had left the door open for a possible move this month.

Nilsson said: 'I think the main problem was that he had a very long season.

'He has also played for two-and-a-half years without a break.

'He played in 2005 then had the World Cup in 2006 and moved on loan to Manchester United during the Swedish league break in 2007. He then played all the way through to December for us. And he's played extremely well all the way through.

'But he has had four-and-a-half weeks away and has come back refreshed.

'Because he played so well, he was being linked with other clubs, and it's understandable he would be linked with clubs like Celtic.

'However we are pleased to announce Henrik will be staying here.'