West Ham have been promised 'all the help they need' in setting up their own team in the United States.
The Hammers were reportedly negotiating tonight in order to enter a side into United Soccer League One, America's equivalent of the Championship.
Arsenal and Chelsea already have ties to US clubs but West Ham would become the first British club to compete in a foreign league in their own right.
USL president Francisco Marcos told the Mail on Sunday: 'FIFA rules only state that owners cannot have two clubs or teams competing in the same competition, so there's no problem here.
'We're looking to West Ham for setting a trend in terms of direct ownership.
'This would be very different in terms of responsibilities and commitment, like the difference between renting a flat and owning a house.
'But Umbro, West Ham's kit sponsors, also own 98% of the USL and I own the other 2%, so they will have all the help they need to get set up here.'