Sacked Wigan manager Chris Hutchings does not believe he was given enough time to put things right at the JJB Stadium.
Hutchings was relieved of his duties this morning after just seven months in charge following a dismal start to the Barclays Premier League season.
The Latics slipped into the bottom three after Chelsea condemned them to a sixth successive defeat on Saturday.
Wigan actually started the season well with two wins in their opening three games, enough to see them briefly top the table, but there has been little joy in the nine games since.
Hutchings, who took charge after Paul Jewell's resignation at the end of last season, has cited injuries as a factor behind the team's slump and feels he has been shown the door too hastily.
The 50-year-old told Sky Sports News: 'I'm very disappointed in the decision the chairman has made and disappointed we couldn't carry on the work we have started.
'These days, I think everybody says you need time to impose your own style of play.
'Everyone can see we had changed our style of play and that's no disrespect to how we had been playing before, which was successful. But we felt we wanted to try and take the club forward.
'We wanted to get more craft-like players, more skilful players and they have to integrate into the team.
'Obviously, when you're not given enough time, it's very, very disappointing.
'I didn't really feel time was up.
'We were having players who were coming back to full fitness.
'Another couple of weeks and Emile Heskey would have been fit.'
Hutchings was promoted to the Latics' hot seat after impressing as Jewell's number two during the club's rise to the top flight for the first time in their history.
He made 10 summer signings in a bid to consolidate but results have not matched expectations.
'You're judged by your results and we haven't got them in recent weeks,' Hutchings added.
'I'd introduced six or seven new players and that takes time to develop.
'These days, you don't seem to be getting that time, which is much needed.'
The club's decision to axe Hutchings brings to an end a second unhappy managerial posting for the former Chelsea defender. He also succeeded Jewell at Bradford in 2000 but that proved a similarly short stint.
Wigan chief executive Brenda Spencer said: 'We have been looking at this over the last few weeks. The results have just not been going for us.
'We felt that for the long-term future of Wigan Athletic that Wigan and Chris would have to part company.
'It is not about Chelsea, we hoped the results would go for us and we would pick up some points but football is not always like that.
'It's where you are in the league that denotes success.'
Attention will now turn to his successor with former Liverpool, Blackburn and Newcastle manager Graeme Souness having emerged as an early favourite.
Two bookmakers tonight suspended betting on the Scot taking charge at the JJB Stadium but Souness is also thought to be interested in the Republic of Ireland vacancy.
Jewell has also been linked with a return but Wigan say they have no particular candidate in mind and will conduct a thorough search.