Portsmouth veterans Sol Campbell and David James insist they never gave up hope of earning England recalls.The Pompey pair, who have not featured for their country since the 2006 World Cup, were among a massive 28-strong party confirmed by Steve McClaren this afternoon for next week's friendly against Germany. Defender Campbell told his club's website, portsmouthfc.co.uk: 'I never let my head go down when I came out of the England squad. 'Situations change, and opportunities come along - and one has now. 'It's a good position because they know what I can do, and I know what I can do.' He added: 'I didn't think I'd missed my chance when Steve McClaren came to watch against Manchester United at Fratton Park on Wednesday and I was out injured - because I still have the desire, I still have a lot to give for club and country and I've kept working hard on the training ground. 'I will continue to do my best for club and country. 'The inclusion of me and `Jamo' says a lot about the way Pompey have transformed as a club over the last year or so.' Goalkeeper James was similarly buoyed by the call and confirmed he has never considered retiring from international football. 'I'm delighted to get back in the frame,' he said. 'I had to be optimistic about a recall, because my form has been good and my enthusiasm for the game is still there. 'I've been happy with my form - and if I was happy there's no way I was going to retire from international football. 'It's the next step on the ladder for me. I'm delighted to be in the squad and will now try to get in the team.'