Eriksson promises yet more new City signings

August 3, 2007

Sven-Goran Eriksson welcomed his four new signings to Manchester City - then confirmed there could be more to come next week.

In a whirlwind 24 hours, Eriksson completed the capture of Brazilian international Elano, Javi Garrido, Vedran Corluka and, this morning, Valeri Bojinov.

The quadruple swoop doubled the number of fresh faces Eriksson has brought into Eastlands since he succeeded Stuart Pearce as manager last month.

With just a week to go before the new campaign gets under way at West Ham, the former England coach has a massive job to integrate the new boys into his squad, especially as only Elano, who has an Italian passport, and Garrido will be available for tomorrow's high-profile friendly with Valencia.

However, Eriksson has not finished yet, with a goalkeeper and, possibly, a defender still on his hit-list.

'I never speak about rumours,' said the Swede when asked specifically about a series of players he has been linked with.

'If you wait three or four days, you will know.

'My dream is to have eight defenders, eight midfielders and four strikers. That is what I am working towards and hopefully, by the time I have finished, that is what I will have.'

Eriksson admitted he currently had so many players on the training field 'I need two pitches'. Departures are inevitable, with Danny and Matthew Mills, Georgios Samaras and Darius Vassell all in the firing line.

However, Eriksson, while accepting his team are nowhere near the level he would like them to be at this stage of the pre-season campaign, is hopeful the required improvement will be made before his side head to Upton Park.

'We are not ready yet,' he said.

'But we have one week to try and make a team of it. It will not be easy and the time is short, everyone knows that.

'We all know when the new owner came in and we all know when I came in. We just have to do the best we can.'

Juventus have confirmed that defender Giorgio Chiellini, who had been linked with City, will not be leaving the Italian club.

The full-back, who is currently in England on a pre-season tour with Juve, is part of coach Claudio Ranieri's plans for next season.

Juve director of sport Alessio Secco told the club's TV channel: 'There is no truth in the voices linking Chiellini with a move.

'Giorgio is part of the club's plans and is staying at Juventus.

'I can only reaffirm what has been said in the last few days that the transfer market regarding players coming in is practically closed, although we are keeping an eye on anything becoming available.

'The team is complete and, with Ranieri, there is a great harmony.'