Trezeguet claims he snubbed United and Liverpool

June 28, 2007

David Trezeguet claims he spurned interest from Manchester United and Liverpool before signing a new contract with Juventus.

The 29-year-old France striker this week penned a new deal with the Turin giants, tying him to the club until June 2011.

He told L'Equipe: 'My father [and agent] told me I had other propositions from ambitious clubs like Manchester United, Liverpool and Barcelona.

'But as soon as Juventus showed their desire to keep me, I accepted immediately.'

Trezeguet, who helped the club regain their Serie A status at the first attempt following their demotion for match-fixing, was linked with a move away after manager Didier Deschamps departed to be replaced by Claudio Ranieri.

'I didn't want to leave Juve but I needed to get reassured by the officials,' Trezeguet added.

'The departure of Didier Deschamps did make things more complex but we finally all made efforts and came to an agreement.'

United chief executive David Gill has previously admitted the club would consider signing a new striker despite their recent spending spree, while Liverpool are desperate to bolster their forward line before the start of the new season.