NZ A-League team decision put back a day

March 7, 2007

A final decision whether there will be an A-League soccer club based in Wellington next season has been put back 24 hours, although New Zealand Soccer (NZS) remains confident of a positive result.

Chief executive Graham Seatter said a definitive yes or no would be confirmed on Friday afternoon.

"At this stage it will not take much to happen for it to be a yes," he said.

A week ago, the national body provisionally backed a Wellington group bidding to operate a successor to the Auckland-based New Zealand Knights.

NZS, which was offered an A-League licence by Football Federation Australia (FFA) for a club to replace the New Zealand Knights, had hoped to sign the sub-licence agreement with the Wellington group.

Seatter said the NZS board met and updated the FFA on progress. The latter had requested more information by Friday.

"We are also finalising the participation agreement which is the document that sits between the FFA and NZS," he said.

"We want to get it exactly right and our expectation is that if things move well, and I think they will, we will sign that document by 5pm tomorrow."

Seatter said the outstanding issues were minor, but the participation agreement was a complex document that needed to be worked through.

He believed the Wellington group was close to the raising the initial $2 million investment needed.

"They have done extremely well in the last week," he said.

"There's been a lot of progress. The Wellington community has got hugely behind the concept of having an A-League club in town."