Fowler's agent denies talks with MLS

February 28, 2007

Robbie Fowler's agent has dismissed suggestions the Liverpool striker could be moving to the USA at the end of the season.

New England Revolution coach Steve Nicol claimed he had held talks with his former Liverpool team-mate about a move to Major League Soccer.

However, agent George Scott said the 31-year-old had not had talks with Nicol.

"He has not had a conversation with Steve and I don't think they could afford him anyway," Scott told BBC Radio Five Live.

"If he was to think about moving, Qatar or Dubai could be an option."

Fowler's contract at Anfield expires in the summer and, with Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez still pursuing another striker after agreeing a deal to sign Andriy Voronin from Bayer Leverkusen, the former England forward appears unlikely to be offered a new deal.

There have been suggestions Fowler could seek a fresh start by following David Beckham to MLS, where he could join up with the man he played alongside for the Reds in the early 1990s.

In an interview with PA Sport, Nicol claimed he had already made contact with Fowler.

"We'd be interested in Robbie but, at the moment, the first thing is the financial side," he said.

"We've spoken but, as of yet, there's nothing been settled. It's something he's thinking about.

"He's getting his ducks in a row. Whether he gets a contract at Liverpool or whether he moves on, he's dipping his foot in the water."