Henrik Larsson has ruled out staying at Manchester United beyond the current loan spell which ends next month.
The Swedish striker is set for his first Champions League appearance for United in Tuesday night's last-16 first leg clash against Lille.
But the 35-year-old has revealed he will return to parent club Helsingborgs on March 12 as originally planned, a week after the second leg against the French club.
'I am not saying that I am not flattered or grateful to get the opportunity to extend my stay but there are other things I need to think about,' he said.
'The Swedish season starts at the end of March and I need to get back to that. I will stay only until March 12.'
The former Celtic and Barcelona forward is becoming affected by travelling to and from Sweden, saying: 'I am going back and forward and it's not an ideal situation.'
He added: 'This is a great adventure for me.
'I arrived in January and I'm going home in March to play in Sweden. It suits me perfectly.'
Helsingborg chairman Sten-Inge Fredrin claimed it was always clear Larsson would return as scheduled.
'There hasn't been any doubt about that. Henrik should be back on March 12,' he said on Sky Sports.
'When we made contact in December, that decision was taken with Manchester, Henrik and myself.
'It had been clear from the beginning.
'We also have a lot of fans here and, I can assure you, they want to have him back here too.
'We have our sponsors and we have our responsibilities. That's why we let him go, because we were sure he would be back on March 12.'
Fredrin insisted there had been no discussions with United or Larsson about extending the loan, adding: 'We are very happy that he proved he is one of the best players in Europe and we hope, and are sure, Manchester have been happy to have him for this period of time.
'At Helsingborg, we are extremely delighted to have him back.'