McClaren 'not discussed Beckham recall with players'

February 18, 2007

The Football Association insist there is 'no truth whatsoever' in a report claiming England manager Steve McClaren asked England's senior players for their opinion on whether he should hand David Beckham a recall.

A Sunday newspaper report claimed McClaren is considering including the 31-year-old former England skipper in his squad for the vital Euro 2008 qualifier in Israel on March 24.

But McClaren said on Wednesday he had no plans to speak to Beckham although he has also said in the past that he would never close the door on any player regarding selection.

The FA stressed today that McClaren has not consulted players on the possibility of a recall for Beckham, who was sent off in Real Madrid's La Liga clash with Real Betis last night.

FA director of communications Adrian Bevington said: 'I have spoken to Steve McClaren regarding this story and he is categoric that there is no truth whatsoever in this.'

Beckham stood down as England captain on July 2 of last year after England's exit from the World Cup finals and on August 11 McClaren dropped him from the England squad for friendly against Greece, his first match as manager.