Sydney FC sue Yorke over alleged contract breach

January 1, 2007

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Striker Dwight Yorke is to be sued for breach of contract by his former Australian club FC Sydney, the Sydney Daily Telegraph reported on Thursday.

The club claim Yorke broke the terms of his contract when he took time off to prepare to play for Trinidad & Tobago at last year's World Cup.

The 35-year-old Yorke helped Sydney win last year's inaugural A-League title before leaving in August to return to England with second division side Sunderland.

Sydney FC chief executive George Perry said the club had been talking to Yorke's management company.

'I am aware of the cases,' Sydney chief executive George Perry told the Telegraph. 'It pre-dates me but I know we've been talking and we're trying to find an outcome.'

Yorke made his name with English Premier League club Aston Villa before spending four years at Manchester United. He helped United win the Champions League, Premier League and FA Cup treble in 1999.