I'm still in charge of Indonesia, insists Withe

January 19, 2007

Former England striker Peter Withe insists he is still in charge of Indonesia, despite the Federation's claims that his contract had been terminated.

Withe's position has been in doubt since the Indonesians were eliminated from the Asean Football Championship on Wednesday following the team's 2-2 draw with Singapore.

That result saw Indonesia finish third in a four-team group that was topped by Singapore with Vietnam finishing second.

But, despite claims from the All Indonesia Football Federation (PSSI), the former Thailand coach - a European Cup-winner with Aston Villa - stressed he is still in charge of the Asian Cup co-hosts.

'As far as I am concerned, I am still their national team coach and I will conduct my business professionally with the PSSI,' Withe said.

Federation president Nurdin Halid had issued a statement following the draw with Singapore stating that Withe would be replaced as a result of their elimination from the tournament.

'We had set a target for him to give the country the first title at the AFF Championship and he failed, therefore we had no choice to dismiss him,' Halid said.

'We will name a replacement for him and will announce it as soon as Monday.'