Citings tipped after Victory's 3-2 win

September 3, 2006
By Adrian Warren

Two citings are expected from Saturday's spiteful A-League clash between Melbourne and Sydney FC, with the reigning premier also having to get used to an extended period without midfielder Robbie Middleby.

Football Federation Australia will review the match on Monday with the Victory's Adrian Leijer and import Fred likely to be in hot water after a couple of ugly incidents in the 3-2 win by the home side at Telstra Dome.

Middleby is expected to be out for 12 weeks after confirmation he'd suffered a broken collarbone when taken out by Leijer, while there was also an apparent elbow by Fred to the throat of Socceroo World Cup squad member Mark Milligan.

The incidents marred an otherwise attractive second round in which the top four teams from last season were beaten by the bottom four.

Perth downed Central Coast 2-0, New Zealand scored a surprise 1-0 win over Adelaide and Queensland registered an entertaining 3-2 win over Newcastle.

But it was Victory's game against Sydney that attracted the most interest - with an A-League regular season record crowd of 39,730 at Telstra Dome.

Given what transpired during the match, the interest is likely to continue during the week.

"If the police were watching the game ... there might be one or two cases for an assault charge, having been convicted myself on a football field many years ago," Sydney coach Terry Butcher said.

"Hopefully TV have got good coverage - they normally have because they've got about 100 cameras at games - and I hope authorities take steps because there were lots of things we saw on the ground that we thought we were hard done by."

The FFA cited just two players last season, Melbourne's Kevin Muscat and New Zealand's Sean Devine.

The action at Telstra Dome rounded off a dramatic week for Australian soccer following the imminent loss of FFA chief executive John O'Neill and the departure of Sydney's Marquee player Dwight Yorke.

Elsewhere, the drama may have been less but upsets were still in evidence.

The Roar, which struggled for goals last season, made it six in two games with their away victory over Newcastle.

The game featured own goals by both captains, with striker Simon Lynch clinching maximum points for the visitors with a late winner.

In another piece of history for the fledging competition, New Zealand recorded its first home win in twelve attempts with a 1-0 victory over Adelaide.

A spectacular late strike by midfielder Malik Buari gave the Knights victory and left last seasons minor premier pointless and goal-less after two games.

"We played a lot better this week than we did last week and we showed a lot more conviction," Adelaide coach John Kosmina said.

"We've put in a lot the last few weeks (but) maybe it hasn't been enough."

In the final match of the round, Perth scored a home win over Central Coast with Simon Colosimo and Stuart Young netting second half goals.