AC Milan, Fiorentina lose appeal of point penalties

August 29, 2006

ROME -- AC Milan and Fiorentina failed in their bids to reduce their point penalties resulting from the Italian match-fixing scandal, but will seek arbitration for their home stadium bans and fines.

The Italian Olympic Committee's (CONI) reconciliation commission agreed Tuesday to temporarily suspend home-stadium bans and monetary fines pending arbitration.

Both clubs agreed with the Italian soccer federation to take their appeals to CONI's arbitration court.

Milan had been given an eight-point penalty, a one-game home ban and $125,000 fine. Fiorentina, penalized 19 points, had a three-game home ban and $125,000 fine.

"We asked to have the point-penalty removed, but we didn't reach an agreement," Milan lawyer Leandro Cantamessa said on Milan's Web site.

Cantamessa said arbitration won't take place for at least three weeks.


Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press