RIO DE JANEIRO, July 21 (Reuters) - Former Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira said on Friday he had received an offer to coach 2010 World Cup hosts South Africa.
'It's an honour to receive an invitation from the South African national team as the country will be the centre of attention as hosts of the next World Cup,' Parreira said in a statement.
'But this will only happen after sitting down and talking to representatives of the South African federation,' added the 63-year-old.
Parreira ended his third stint as Brazil coach when he resigned on Wednesday, less than three weeks after their quarter-final defeat to France at the World Cup. He had been in charge since the start of 2003.
Parreira also coached Brazil in 1983-4 and led them to their fourth world title in 1994.
He also led Kuwait at the 1982 World Cup, United Arab Emirates in 1990 and Saudi Arabia in 1998 when he was sacked after their first two games.
Parreira said the first contact with South Africa was made during the World Cup draw in Leipzig last year.
'They called me this week to remind me that they were interested,' he said. 'They agreed to come to Brazil at the start of August.'