Celtic await second Pompey bid for Petrov

July 8, 2006

Celtic have yet to receive a second bid from Portsmouth for want-away star

Stilian Petrov.

Fratton Park manager Harry Redknapp indicated the Barclays Premiership club

had increased their offer for the 27-year-old midfielder, having had an initial

move knocked back by the Hoops.

But Celtic chiefs have heard nothing else from Portsmouth since they were told

last month Bulgaria international was going nowhere.

Manager Gordon Strachan is fighting to keep the talented star but another

offer could convince him that he is better letting an unhappy player leave.

Redknapp said: 'Our chief executive Peter Storrie was dealing with the bid

and I don't know exactly how much it was worth but I do know it was being

submitted.

'I don't know where it has gone from there. We decided to give it another go

with Stilian because I'd really like to get him.

'It is entirely up to Celtic what happens with the bid and I wouldn't tell

them what they should do.

'If we can agree a price, I would very much like to get a deal done.'

Celtic travel to the United States on Monday for their pre-season tour and

Petrov is expected to travel.

But, with Portsmouth ready to test their resolve and agent Tony McGill due to

meet Celtic soon, it remains to be seen where his future lies.