Hamstring injury rules out Trinidad's Spann

May 31, 2006

Silvio Spann's World Cup is over already after the 25-year-old was released from the Trinidad & Tobago squad because of a hamstring injury.

Coach Leo Beenhakker will call on reserve player Evans Wise to take his place after Spann sustained the injury during training at Carden Park near Manchester earlier this week.

Wise originally travelled to Manchester to provide cover for Cornell Glen, who was himself an injury doubt with a hamstring problem.

Spann, whose contract with Yokohama Marinos expired at the end of last season, had not played any kind of regular football since the start of 2006.

He was sidelined by a knee injury shortly after appearing in the 2-0 win over Iceland and has remained without a club.

Beenhakker had hoped he would recover from his injury in order to take part in the second group game against England on June 15, but the team's medical staff judged that he was a doubt even for the game with Paraguay on June 20.

The former Under-23 national team skipper was heartbroken by the news.

'It's always hard, especially before a tournament such as this,' he said. 'But it's fair because after getting the injury, I remained positive. But the coach had a decision to make and he had to choose the 23 players to go to the World Cup.

'In my case it would have been difficult to be ready in time for the England game. I am disheartened because this was the dream of my father and myself.

'The coach explained why the decision was taken. I have no doubt that he means well.'

Spann wished his team-mates all the best for the tournament ahead.

'I know they will do us proud and I will be there in spirit.'

Both players were informed of the decision by Beenhakker at training on Tuesday and the other members of the squad were subsequently told by the head coach.

Spann is expected to leave the camp later this week.