King's World Cup hopes not over

May 8, 2006

Sven-Goran Eriksson has revealed the door has not yet been slammed shut on Ledley King's World Cup dream.

The Tottenham skipper is yet to recover from the broken foot at Everton last month but was expected to be named in Eriksson's 23-man party today for the finals in Germany.

Instead, King failed even to make the standby list, with Eriksson claiming he had enough central defenders available to feel confident about the players he named.

However, in a webchat this afternoon on www.thefa.com, Eriksson claimed when he spoke to King earlier in the day to give him the bad news, he also said the Spurs man would be the first on his list should any of his central defenders pull out before the opening game against Paraguay on June 10.

'I have spoken to Ledley and told him if we have any problems with a central defender at the beginning of June, we will find out what his situation is,' said Eriksson.

'If he is better, he might become an option.

'He was disappointed at not being picked but he understood.

'At this stage, it was simply the case that we didn't need to take a risk on any central defenders because we have so much quality there.'