PARIS, May 3 (Reuters) - France coach Raymond Domenech will take just his squad of 23 players and nobody else to a World Cup training camp later this month.
Domenech, who has until May 15 to unveil his final list, said no reserves would be invited to the camp from May 22 to 26 in the French Alps resort of Tignes.
"I thought about it carefully and I don't think it would be a good thing to bring players who would need somebody else to get injured to make the squad," Domenech told French radio channel RTL.
Domenech said he wanted to avoid a repeat of what happened in 1998 when six players were told to leave France's training camp at the last minute.
The France coach said he would not decide before early June who, from Olympique Marseille's Fabien Barthez or Olympique Lyon's Gregory Coupet, would be his number one goalkeeper at the World Cup.
Domenech has so far refused to drop any hints on who he will pick. There are a few questions marks, notably over Olympique Marseille's Franck Ribery and Arsenal's Robert Pires, both attacking midfielders.