Charlton today completed the signing of Marcus Bent from Everton for an initial fee of £2million, which could rise to £2.5million.
The 27-year-old striker travelled to south-east London yesterday to agree personal terms and undergo a medical, and has now signed a three-and-a-half-year contract.
Bent will be officially unveiled at a 2pm press conference at The Valley this afternoon.
The former Blackburn and Ipswich forward will provide a solid strike partner for England squad man Darren Bent, who played alongside his namesake at Portman Road.
Marcus Bent has seen his first-team opportunities limited at Goodison Park this season, having managed just one goal - at Bolton in August - after finishing as second top scorer in the previous campaign as Everton qualified for the Champions League.
He said: 'Charlton are a team I've always looked at with high regard. I can't wait to get started and am really looking forward to it.'
Bent trained with his new team-mates this morning, and was happy to have finally resolved his future with the chance of regular first-team football again.
'There were rumours in the summer and I think it's been ongoing,' the former Blackburn forward said. 'Coming up to the transfer window I know Everton have been looking to bring another striker in.
'That didn't mean I had to go, but I felt it was better for me as I wasn't playing. I was happy at the club, but not playing means that I'm not happy in football terms.
'Charlton are a team I've always regarded highly. I've played against them a number of times and I know how vocal the fans are. They always produce strong teams down here and it's nice to get a chance to play for Alan Curbishley.'
Bent is confident he can play a major role in helping Charlton climb the Premiership table.
'I can bring goals and am pacy, strong and good in air,' he told the club's official website. 'I'd like to bring something to the team that's going to push us on to the next level and achieve something like I did last year.
'I was speaking to the manager at the weekend and he was telling me what he has got planned for the future and what he wants to be doing. It's all good. It's something I want to do, I want to move on and I want to better myself and do as well as I can.
'That is playing at the highest level and being at the top end of the table. And I think at Charlton we can achieve that.
'Charlton are a lively and exciting team and the quicker we start picking up points and getting back to the form we were in at the start of the season, the better.'
As well as his namesake, there are several other former Tractor Boys in the current Charlton squad, and Bent is looking forward to renewing some old acquaintances.
'I've played with Hermann Hreidarsson at (Crystal) Palace as well as Ipswich and Matty Holland. Darren Bent and Darren Ambrose were both very talented youngsters coming through when I was there,' said the striker.
'I think they have made the right move in coming here. They have both shone so far this season and can only get better.
'But it's not just Ipswich, I know quite a few of the lads here. It's nice to come to a club and know the majority of the team.'
Charlton travel to Stamford Bridge on Sunday to face the champions, and Bent is relishing the opportunity.
'I'll be thrown in at the deep end at the weekend with my first game at Chelsea,' he declared. 'They are all hard games in the Premiership so why not start with Chelsea.'