Transfer news

Dortmund retain De Bruyne hope

June 20, 2013
By Stephan Uersfeld, Germany Correspondent

Borussia Dortmund have not given up on signing Kevin de Bruyne and still hope to find an agreement with Chelsea, BVB sporting director Michael Zorc told kicker.

Kevin De Bruyne
GettyImagesKevin de Bruyne is yet to make an appearance for the Chelsea first-team

De Bruyne, 21, is Dortmund’s first-choice option to replace Bayern Munich-bound Mario Gotze. Dortmund and De Bruyne have reportedly already agreed on a five-year deal with the left-footed Belgium international. However, Chelsea are yet to confirm publicly that they are willing to sell the player, who scored ten goals and set up nine more during his loan spell at Werder Bremen last season.

Moreover, statements by Bayer Leverkusen officials suggest that Chelsea are reluctant to let the promising youngster leave Stamford Bridge. Leverkusen had hoped to include De Bruyne in the recent transfer of Germany international Andre Schurrle, but, according to Leverkusen, Chelsea were not willing to send him on another loan.

"We respect the contract situation at Chelsea," Zorc said. "But we will keep it rolling."

Dortmund had also been linked with Denmark international Christian Eriksen. Reports in Germany had suggested that the deal to bring in the Ajax midfielder was all but done, but according to kicker’s interpretation of Zorc’s recent statement the Eriksen file has been closed at the Westfalenstadion.

Meanwhile, in an interview with football weekly Sport Bild, Michael Zorc has once again explained that the Mario Gotze transfer to Bayern had hit Dortmund hard.

"We had plans with Mario, we now had to bury them," Zorc said. He added that the timing of the announcement only one day before of the Real Madrid match had been "awkward".

"Of course we were all disappointed by his decision to leave us,” he said.