Transfer talk

Hamburg's Son back on Dortmund radar

April 24, 2013
By ESPN staff

Dortmund will move swiftly to replace Bayern-Munich bound Mario Gotze with Hamburg midfielder Heung-Min Son, according to reports in Germany.

Son Heung-Min puts Hamburg 2-1 up at Borussia Dortmund
Associated Heung-Min Son has scored four goals in two games against Dortmund this season

The announcement of Gotze’s switch to Bayern sent shockwaves through the Bundesliga on Tuesday but attention quickly turned to speculation on how Dortmund will spend the 37 million euros they will receive for the playmaker.

Son, 20, has previously been linked with Dortmund and the 2011-12 Bundesliga champions are now reportedly ready to swoop for the South Korea international, who has scored four goals in two games against Dortmund this season.

However, Son’s agent Thies Blietsmeier told Hamburger Morgenpost: “As we have said, Son will concentrate on his season at Hamburg and we will see in the summer. And that’s final.”

The attacking midfielder, who can also play up front, has recently also been linked with several Premier League clubs, but recent reports in England suggested Dortmund are leading the race.

The club's chief executive Aki Watzke has promised investment in the team in the wake of the club’s impressive form in Europe and hinted after the Champions League quarter-final victory over Malaga that a move for an Asian player could form part of their plans.

“We are back in the bel étage of European Fooball,” Watzke had told Ruhr Nachrichten. “This has made BVB a major topic, not only in Europe but also in Asia. That is very important for our plans for the upcoming years.”

Meanwhile. Robert Lewandowski could be set to stay at Dortmund until his contract ends in 2014 after the sale of Gotze to Bayern, who had been tipped to move for the Poland striker at the end of the season. Bild Zeitung reported on Wednesday that Dortmund are not willing to let more big-name players leave this summer.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER