Transfer news

Fulham offer Schwarzer extension

April 5, 2013
By ESPN staff

Fulham manager Martin Jol has confirmed goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has been offered a contract extension, despite the Dutchman admitting he is currently searching for reinforcements in goals.

GettyImagesSchwarzer is yet to accept an extension to his current Fulham deal

Schwarzer, 40, has declared he may leave Craven Cottage if he is no longer assured of a first team place, but Jol is confident the Australia international will join the likes of Brede Hangeland and Damien Duff in extending his Fulham career.

Jol also dismissed rumours Fulham are interested in signing FC Twente goalkeeper Nikolay Mihaylov but confirmed the club is searching for a new shot stopper.

"We are talking to Mark Schwarzer like we did with Brede and the other players," Jol said. "He is a fantastic goalkeeper so you would have to be very good to fill that space.

"We have made him an offer so we are waiting. If he accepts he will stay, if not we will talk again like we did with Brede. We are not talking with Mihaylov. Last year we made an approach, but not this year.

"I don't deny that we are looking for a goalkeeper. There is a lot of speculation in the press. I have a young goalkeeper in Neil Etheridge, he is out on loan and so is David Stockdale.

"He doesn't want to be number two so that could be a little problem, so of course we are always looking for a goalkeeper."

Jol insists he is less concerned about bolstering Fulham's attack in the summer given the rise in form of striker Dimitar Berbatov, who has netted six goals in his last six games.

"Last year I lost Bobby Zamora and then Pavel Pogrebnyak came in and scored a lot so there always is a solution if something happens, but you want to keep your best players," the Fulham boss said. "Dimitar is 32 and I think he is happy here. I can see him stopping here for the next two or three years."

Information from the Press Association was used in this report.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER