Stoke news

Sorensen frustrated by lack of games

November 6, 2012
By Ian Edwards

Thomas Sorensen will be forced to leave Stoke City at the end of the season if he is not given the chance to reclaim his first-choice goalkeeping spot by manager Tony Pulis.

Thomas Sorensen Stoke
GettyImagesThomas Sorensen is growing impatient at a lack of first-team football at Stoke

• Blog: Crippled by expectation

Sorensen has lost out to Asmir Begovic this season at Stoke with his only appearance coming in the Capital One Cup defeat against Swindon Town.

Sorensen is becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of opportunities and says he will leave Stoke at the end of the season, despite being under contract until June 2014.

"You have to see what is the potential [to leave] either in January or the summer. I see summer as the best option if something must be done," Sorensen told Onside.dk.

"If this situation is the same for the summer I will do everything to try to find some playing time somewhere. It is clear that it is frustrating, but I still need to arm myself with patience and see what happens."

Sorensen, 36, has spent the last couple of seasons competing with Begovic to be Stoke's No.1 and signed a contract extension in 2011. He still feels he can operate at Premier League level and added: "It's not something I'm happy with.

"Some would say 'okay, I'll take the last year here on the bench', but I want to play and the ambition has not changed. If I cannot find it in Stoke in the long-term, then I look around for something else.

"But we're not even halfway through the season, so it will be a little early to start talking about these things on a serious level. It will probably be closer to the summer before we can make a proper decision about it."