Global news

Riquelme agent denies A-League interest

October 18, 2012
By ESPN staff

Juan Roman Riquelme's agent has shrugged off reports linking the playmaker to a move to Australia's A-League, insisting no clubs have made contact about signing the 34-year-old.

Juan Roman Riquelme remains a free agent after exiting Boca Juniors
GettyImagesRiquelme previously insisted he would never join Boca again

• Blog: Riquelme football's panda

Riquelme left Boca Juniors after the Copa Libertadores final in July and has since been linked with A-League clubs Melbourne Heart and Western Sydney Wanderers, as well as Malaysian Premier League outfit Johor FA and La Plata of Uruguay.

However, his agent, Daniel Bolotnicoff, denied reports the midfielder is set to move to Australia to join the likes of Alessandro Del Piero, Emile Heskey and Shinji Ono in the developing competition.

"Nobody from Australia called us for Mr. Riquelme to play or showed an interest, up to now," Bolotnicoff told ESPN.

Last month, Diego Maradona branded Riquelme a "traitor" on Radio Metro for leaving Boca Juniors. At the time of his departure, Riquelme said he was "empty" and had nothing more to give the Argentinian club and his playing future still remains a mystery.