Inter Milan news

Moratti says Inter won't be big spenders

September 28, 2012
By Adam Digby, Italy Correspondent

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has again spoken of the stark financial reality facing his club, saying they "will not make big investments" in January and citing the importance of complying with UEFA's Financial Fair Play regulations.

Massimo Moratti: Made a quick decision
GettyImagesMassimo Moratti wants what is best for the club

After leaving a meeting of Inter's directors, Moratti spoke to reporters about the discussions and explained the planned transfer strategy this winter.

He said: "We talked about the new stadium, the current situation, the youth academy and many other things.

"There can be slight improvements, but a club has to pay attention to finances and balancing the books, both for the Financial Fair Play rules and because it's the right thing to do."

Moratti praised a number of key figures, singling out the contribution of Antonio Cassano and the success of Andrea Stamaccioni's new-look three-man defence, successfully trialled against Chievo earlier this week.

"Antonio Cassano is bringing a great deal to the table, not just on the field but also in terms of his collaboration with the coach and his team-mates," he said. "When I say he is wise now, he is certainly proving me right.

"The important thing is that there is enthusiasm within the squad. We are only here to support them.

"Any combination of numbers [in defence] is fine as long as the mechanism works. What's really important is that it works for the team, the coach, and can give them a sense of certainty during games.

"It's not that only one tactic exists and the others are failures. It all depends on the players you have at that moment. Right now, it is useful to use a three-man defence."